Friday, February 8, 2008


Garfield School
Golden Jubilee
Souvenir Booklet
Rose Adams
Margaret McConnell Allison*
Rachel Arbuthnot
Anna Austin
Nelle White Baird
Raymond Baird*
Alice Barry
Lottie Smith Bradshaw
Clifford Beane
Alice Belford
Lucinda Bennett
Mary Elizabeth Bennett
Margaret Birch
Alice Bloor
Sue Esterly Boyce
Anna Brooks*
Helen Brown
Dorothy Calcutt
Maud Caldwell
Alleyne Callahan
Martha Carnahan
Ila Carson
Nettie Thompson Chambers
Pauline White Chambers
Janet Hill Chetwyn
Erma Collins
Hattie Poe Connelly
Lena Coventry
Lena Coverly
Ethel Dawson Crawford
Mayme Cullum
Irene Holland Daugherty
Phyllis Boyd Dittmer
Frank Dulaney*
Maude Elliott
Mamie Evans
Mary Falconer
Vada McBrier Falloon
Pearl Finley
Nelle Reed Fisher
Rebecca Birch Fisher
Geneva Flick
Carrie Gaver
Charlotte Faulk Geer
Estelle Finley Hall
Grace Wright Hanley
Jane Davidson Hanson
Donald Hartford
Vera Dray Hatch
Mrs. Delia Hayes
Virginia Todd Heddleston
Mrs. Julia Hickey
Florence Hill
Elsie Hinten
Ora Dell Hunter
Rubenia Ikirt
Mildred Larkins Jester
Amanda Johnston
Alma Jones
Edna Joseph
Hazel Stillgenbauer Kidder
Lois Hanley Kinsey
Mamie Evans Langer
Jessie Manley
Nell Manley
Harriet Andrews Manor
Clara McConnell
Glenda McCoy
Willia McDonnell
Minta McLane
Maud Fisher McMurray*
Nell McPeek
May McVay
Hazel Minnix
Lucy Moore
Ruth Garwood Moore
Ethel Riley Morris
Hael Wood Neiser
Mabel Wright Neiser
Martha Newell
Bernadette Arnold Owen
Ruth Bence Patton
Edna Higby Perry
Agnes Pfisterer*
Clara Jameson Piper
Charlotte Irwin Poole
Mamye Randall
Mary Gladden Rawlins
Julia Reed
Lillian Weible Ridge
Frances Plotts Rinehart
Harriet Keys Reath
Naomi Shontz Russell
Margaret Schneider
Agnes DuTemple Scully
Eva Shaw
Margaret Smith
Mary Helen Smith
Cecile Spivey
Gladys Swickard
Emma Brown Teeman
Margaret Teets
Elizabeth Torrence
Mildred Tracy
Blanche Boorhes
Mary Keenan Ware
June Morris Watkins
Margaret McCarran Watson
Elsie Hickey Weaver
Emma Fowler Weeks*
Milburn Weeks
Effie McKinnon Whetstone
Miriam Whittamore
Ruth Winland
Due to the fact that no records were available before 1920, it may be possible that the names of some teachers who have taught in Garfield do not appear on this page. We regret that a complete list could not be made.


Garfield School
Golden Jubilee
Souvenir Booklet

The Beginning of Garfield School

One chilly October night, a hundred and sixty eight years ago, a band of white men and Indians beached their canoes on a sandy shore along the Ohio River. There in a forest, inhabited only by wild animals and fowls, these adventurers made their camp. Their leader was a young Virginian, George Washington, and the site of their camp was on the eastern boundary of what is now the East End of East Liverpool, Ohio.

In the years following the Civil War a small community was founded near the location of Washington's camp and became known as Ohio City. The children of this settlement attended school at the Dry Run School, now known as the Neville Institute. After a time Ohio City became a part of East Liverpool and the children were assigned to the downtown schools. The parents objected. The means of transportation were either to ride the trains or walk the railroad tracks. About the year 1880 the citizens of Ohio City, in return for their taxes, were given city water and a one-room school building, erected west of Mulberry Street. This was the first Garfield School, a single room, housing all grades and heated by a coal stove in the center of the room. The first teacher in this new building was Miss Kate Harker. The first janitor was Mrs. Julia McKinnon, mother of "Ed" McKinnon, who received seven dollars a month for her work. Following Miss Harker as teachers of this school were Miss Laura Vincent adn Miss Anna Brooks. In 1886 the conditions in the single room became crowded and the city added a second building. The grades were divided and Miss Nell Manley was appointed teacher of the new room.

Miss Manley lived downtown and came to East End each morning on the train, getting off at the station on Mulberry Street. When school was dismissed in the afternoon she had to walk home because the express train going through about that time did not stop in East End. Day ina nd day out she repeated this routine, rain, snow or sunshine and her salary was approximately thirty dollars a month! One year it rained twenty-nine consecutive days and she had to wear rubber boots to get home in the evening.

East End, with the erection of the Anderson Sewer Pipe factory, began to grow. The two small wooden buildings would no longer accomodate the children assigned to them. In 1888 a four-room brick building was erected at the cost of $10,000. John Downard of First Avenue was one of the workmen who helped in the erection. The superintendent of schools was J. A. Vance. Later, some thirty-five years ago, the remainder of the buiding was added.

Three rooms were furnished and the first teachers in the new building were Miss Anna Brooks, Miss Nell Manley adn Miss Anna Austin.

In 1889 Miss Nettie Thompson, now Mrs. F. B. Chambers, was transferred from Grant Street School and given first and second grades to teach. On opening day she had eighty pupils. No one woman could handle that many children and the fourth room was furnished.

The principals of Garfield School During its fifty years of existence have been Anna Brooks, Maude Fisher McMurray, Carrie Gaver, Emma Fowler Weeks, Margaret McConnell Allison, Raymond S. Beard, Frank L. Dulaney and the present principal, Anna M. Martin.

Fifteen thousand children have studied in the various rooms of this building, carved their initials on the surfaces of the desks, learned a lot of things not found in books and have countless memories of Garfield School.

Lucille Thomas Cox,
Former Garfield student.