The East Liverpool Tribune
PNEUMONIA CLAIMS SAMUEL MANOR AFTER ONE WEEK'S ILLNESS
Aged and highly Respected Resident of City Passed Away Saturday Night.
WAS EMPLOYED AT K. T. & K.
Death came peacefully Saturday night (Feb. 10, 1906) to Samuel Manor, one of East Liverpool's oldest and most highly respected citizens, who succumbed to an attack of pleural pneumonia, at his home171 Sixth street. He had been ill only one week. Had he lived until July 26, he would have celebrated his 73rd birthday. He was born in Brooke county, West Virginia, and had been a resident of this city 40 years, being a familiar figure to almost every man, woman and child.
For the last 22 years of his life he had been in the active employ of the Knowles, Taylor & Knowles Potteries company, in the capacity of foreman of the dipping, brushing and stamping departments, and in point of service he was the firm's oldest hand.
The funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at his late residence, the Rev. J. C. Taggart of the First United Presbyterian church, the Rev. W. H. Clark of Calcutta and the Rev. Edward McMillin of the First Presbyterian church of this city officiating. Friends will be permitted to view the remains this evening between the hours of 7 and 10.
Mr. Manor was quiet and unassuming in character, a thorough Christian, and a man who was greatly devoted to his family. He attended the First United Presbyterian church and was one of the oldest members in the congregation. He was a constant attendant upon divine services and seldom missed church except when detained at home by sickness.
He came to the city soon after the close of the war and later embarked in the grocery business with Saul Faulk, in the Odd Fellows block, corner of Fifth and Washington streets. Subsequently he retired from the grocery business and took up contract drilling of oil and gas wells. It is said that some of the very first gas and oil wells drilled along the Ohio Valley, between East Liverpool and Steubenville, were sunk by Mr. Manor. He erected a small machine shop at the corner of Walnut and East Fourth streets, where the White Front grocery now stands, while engaged in this business, subsequently disposing of his interests in the place to Monroe Patterson. It was in this little shop that Mr. Patterson got his first start in the business which he has since followed.
Mr. Manor accepted employment with the K. T. & K. Potteries company in 1884, and he enjoyed the warmest esteem and regard of its management.
He is survived by his wife and four sons and four daughters, as follows: John M. manager Golding & Sons Flint work; James W., bookkeeper of the same plant; Joseph F., manager of the Huntington Pottery Co., Huntington, W.Va.; Clarence S., pastor of the Harmony United Presbyterian church, Harrisville, Pa.; Mrs. Emma ward, of Ingram, Pa.; Alda, Jennie and Elizabeth Manor, of this city.