Friday, April 25, 2008


William H. Thompson

The East Liverpool Tribune


Death Due to Injury Received by Fall

Was Livelong Resident of East Liverpool

Funeral Services Will be Held Today

Conducted y Rev. Robert Kell

William H. Thompson, aged 54, of No. 205 West Fourth street, died at 11:15 o'clock Sunday morning. Gangrene which set in after Mr. Thompson fractured his left arm last Tuesday caused death.

Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment at Riverview. The Rev. Robert Kell of St. Stephen's Episcopal church will officiate.

The father of Mr. Thompson operated one of the first potteries in the west, the plant being on a site which is included in the Newell tract. It was known as the "Virginia Pottery," The son was employed in this plant for a while.

He was a brother of Thomas G. Thompson, a son of whom is T. V. Thompson. Another brother is Henry Thompson, employed as a presser at the D. E. McNicol pottery.

A sister of Mr. Thompson died while he was young.

Mr. Thompson never knew an idle moment. He was at one time employed as a coal miner when that part of the city known as "Sunny Side was considered the coal field of East Liverpool. He left there and worked at the old Union pottery on Walnut street. He learned the trade of a presser. Later he was employed at Thompson's and his last work there was the operating of the big jigger.

He left the pottery and about 15 years ago went into business for himself, opening a place at Wellsville. He remained there about two years and then leased the old Stewart property at the northwest corner of Diamond and Mulberry alley. He occupied this property since.

The property was sold a few years ago to Eugene Bradshaw, formerly of this city but now of Chicago.

The senior Thompson was a Republican and the sons were staunch supporters of the original Fremont-Dayton ticket, which was the first the Republican party put in the field at the birth of the party in old Lafayette hall, Wood street, Pittsburg, in 1856.

In the local political field Mr. Thompson served three terms in council and one year of an unexpired term. He was in council while John H. Burgess was mayor. Later he was nominated for may of the Republican ticket, but at the election was defeated by John Hall, Democrat.

It was through the strenuous efforts of Mr. Thompson and A. R. Mackall, then city solicitor, that Al Johnson of Cleveland succeeded in being interested in the proposition to build an electric railway between this city and Wellsville.

Both men made many trips to Cleveland in the effort to have the Johnsons contract the road. Their labor was not in vain. It was while Mr. Thompson was in council that he worked so hard for new public utilities. Electric street lighting is also a monument to his efforts with several others.

Isabel Eaton became the wife of Mr. Thompson, 36 years ago. Only a month ago Mrs.Thompson attended the funeral of her mother at Cleveland. She died while visiting at St. Louis, Mo. The body was taken to Cleveland, interment being at Woodlawn cemetery.

He is survived by his wife and these children: Mrs. Roy Rinehart, Mrs. Joseph Birbeck, Mrs. Doc Ralston, of Pittsburg; Mrs. M. T. Gutelius, of Cleveland. Miss Myrtle, Raymond and Willie at home.

No comments: