Mrs. Ruth Smith
The East Liverpool Tribune
Jan. 8, 1906
FUNERAL OF MRS. RUTH SMITH TO BE HELD AT FAMILY HOME TODAY
Life of One of City's Oldest Residents is Brought to a Close
SKETCH OF INTERESTING LIFE.
The funeral of Mrs. Ruth Smith, whose death was briefly announced in this paper yesterday morning, will be held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, from her late residence at the corner of Ohio avenue and Beaver street, East End. The services will be conducted by the Rev. E. M. McMillin, assisted by the Rev. N. M. Crowe and the Rev. Winfiled E. Hill. Interment will follow at Riverview cemetery with the following escort: Elder E. D. Moore, Hal N. Harker, Benj. F. Harker, Isaac Riley, John C. Thompson and John Cartwright.
All friend of the family are invited to attend the funeral. Last evening opportunity was given many friends to view the remains, between 7 and 10 o'clock, of which privilege a great many availed themselves. The remains were encased in a neat black casket and beautiful floral tributes surrounded it.
In the death of Mrs. Smith closes a life of much interest to all old residents of East Liverpool. She had lived in this vicinity all the 86 years of her life, and for the past 48 years in East Liverpool. Her maiden name was Ruth Chapman, and she was a daughter of William Chapman, of Chapman's Landing, Hancock county, W. Va. She was born on her father's farm, on the banks of the Ohio river about 12 miles below this city, November 3, 1819. She was married June 12, 1836, to John Smith, who was a native of St. Clair township, Columbiana county. Mr. Smith was accustomed to make trips in flat boats, from Wellsville down the Ohio to the Mississippi, and as far south as New Orleans, with the products of the farms of this part of the Ohio valley.
While making these trips Mr. Smith became acquainted with the brothers of Ruth Chapman, anon their return north accepted an invitation to visit at their home. In this manner began a courtship which resulted in marriage.
Mrs. Smith became the mother of twelve children, six boys and six girls, ten of whom lived to manhood and womanhood, and were practically reared in this city. Their first home was on Long Run, a short distance above Cannon's Mills where Ed Smith, a relative, now lives. All of the children were born at this old Smith home, except the youngest, Mrs. Bloor.
The oldest girl and the oldest boy died in infancy at the old home in St. Clair township. In 1858 Mr. and Mrs. Smith and their children moved to East Liverpool, and they moved into the home where they lived in Railroad street, just east of Broadway, for more than 45 years. This home was built by William G. Smith, noted pioneer of East Liverpool and a relative of the Smith family that moved in where he moved out. In May 1903, Mrs. Smith removed to her new home, corner of Beaver and Ohio avenues, East End, where she died. Her husband was one of the pioneer merchants of East Liverpool. He operated a grocery at the foot of Broadway for a number of years and during the war of 60-65. Mr. Smith died January 17, 1879 from a stroke of paralysis.
Six of the children are dead and six are living. One of the sons was Ohio J. Smith, who was a member of Co. A, 115 O.V.I., and died in the service before he was nineteen years of age. The six living children are: Mrs. Matilda Hamble, Miss Mary A. Smith, principal of Sixth street school; George L. Smith, of the K. T. & K. Co; Mrs. Susan Huston, Thomas C. Smith, of the E.M. Knowles Pottery Co.; and Mrs. Virginia L. Bloor, all of whom reside in this city.
Mrs. Smith practically reared all of her family here, and it was in her home life where she was best known. While she was never a strong, rugged woman, yet she comes of a family noted for its longevity. Of her most intimate women friends, in this city, who were her neighbors and acquaintances such as Mrs. Rachel Harker, Mrs. Jane Boyce, Mrs. Josiah Thompson, Mrs. Louisa Anderson, Mrs. Thomas Blythe and Grandmother Peterson, she outlived them all, who were comparatively much younger women. The past twenty years of her life she was almost blind. She was unable to read in all those years, yet she was able to distinguish a form or see a chair in a room, and one of her pleasures was in the use of the knitting needles at which she was beery proficient even after losing her eyesight. The past three years she walked with a cane.
From her girlhood she was a member of the Presbyterian church. After her marriage she became a member of the church at Long's Run, and when she and her husband came to East Liverpool in 1858 she united with the Presbyterian church here, at its place of worship in the little old church at the corner of Third and Jackson streets. It was her custom to attend church with her family regularly whenever she was able to do so. For eight weeks past she had been gradually sinking, and since Wednesday of last week had been unconscious most of the time.