The East Liverpool Tribune
Feb. 26, 1906
THE SHARP FUNERAL
The beautiful Masonic ritual service was observed yesterday afternoon when the remains of the late Sampson Sharp were laid in their last resting place in Riverview cemetery. The funeral services were held in the Masonic lodge room and were presided over by Worshipful Master C. H. Shell, assisted by the Rev. T. W. Lane, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church, a member of the order.
After the services in the hall the remains were escorted to the cemetery, the special escort of Masons being H. A. Knoblock, Thomas Arbuckle, George Grosshans, G. Bendheim, W. T. Burton and Fred G. Croxall.
Sampson Sharp was born September 25, 1822, in the city of Bradford, Yorkshire, England, where he resided until a young man. He then turned his attention to the mining industry, which avocation he followed in various capacities until the year 1851, when he followed the tide of immigration that was flowing into the United States and located at Pittsburg, Pa.
His practical knowledge of mining was soon sought after and he was called to Salineville in the year 1851 to develop the first mines located on the line of the C. & P. railroad.
He remained in charge of this property until 1876 when he located in East Liverpool, O., and entered into the wholesale and retail coal business, where he resided until September, 1902, when on the death of his wife he took up his home with his son, George H. Sharp, of Jonesville, Mich., where the declining years of his life was spent.
He was married in Shonecliff church county of Durham, England, October 7, 1844, to Elizabeth Woodward, from which union eight children were born five of whom survive as follows: Mrs. W. S. Maple, of Allegheny City, Pa.; Mrs. Jas. A. Watkins, Monessen, Pa.; Mrs. W. A. Rhodes, Waynesburg, O.; Jas. W. Sharp, of East Liverpool, and George H. Sharp, of Jonesville.
He joined the Masonic fraternity in the early sixties and had been an active member ever since.