Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mrs. Loiusa Anderson Obituary

Mrs. Louisa Anderson

The East Liverpool Tribune

Died on Jan. 12, 1901

The death of Mrs. Thomas Anderson of Walnut street, in her seventy-third year, breaks another link in the line of living pioneers of East Liverpool. She died Saturday morning, January 12, 1901, at about 10 o'clock, just one month after the first day of her last illness. On December 12 she was prostrated, and while she revived, other attacks followed at intervals until the one ensued that caused her death. Her children living at distant points were summoned, and were with her most of the time from the first warning of what was to come.

Deceased was the eldest daughter of William Warrick and Mary Smith. She was a direct descendant of the Fawcett and Smith Families, the earliest pioneers of this neighborhood, her mother being a daughter of Joseph Smith and Abigail Fawcett, who were married and lived here over a hundred years ago. The late William G. Smith was an uncle of deceased. She was born in what was formerly Fawcettstown, April 21, 1828, but then known as "Liverpool," the prefix "East" not being added until its incorporation in 1834. The place of her birth was on Third street, near the public square. Her father and mother were married in the old log house which stood on the east side of West Market street, near where the Union Planing<sic> Mill is located. Her girlhood days were all spent in this community, as well as her half century of happy married life. She was a part of the early days of East Liverpool, and a very much loved and respected part.

Away back in the forties, Mr. Thomas Anderson came to East Liverpool, and found employment with Isaac W. Knowles and James Knowles, furniture makers, then doing business on Second street, where the L. R. Farmer block stands. Marie Louisa Warrick lived with her father, near the corner of Second and Union streets, adjoining the hotel of Wm. Devers. Here the deceased was wooed, and while visiting at the home of James Warrick, near Beaver, Pa., she was married, November 12, 1847, to Thomas Anderson, a native of Beaver county. The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Wm. Cox, the well known pioneer Methodist minister of Beaver. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson at once went to housekeeping in the old Warrick homestead, partly connected with the store, corner Second and Union. The husband soon made arrangements to build a home of his own, and purchased a lot on Walnut street, from William McKee, and later the one adjoining, from William Robinson, Sr., the potter and crate maker, who afterwards moved to Akron, where the Robinson family founded the great stoneware and sewer pipe factories. Mr. Anderson at once erected the home which has been occupied by his wife and he for almost fifty years. A very happy, cosy<sic> and comfortable home it has been. Here thir eight children were born, of whom only four are living—Mrs. Lizzie Nangle, of Princeton, Ill., Mrs. Marie L. Ramsey, of Wellsville, John E. Anderson, of this city, and George T. Anderson, of Cleveland, former4ly with the "Tribune", now with the Cleveland "World." Mrs. Anderson has two sisters living—Mrs. Esther Thomas and Mrs. Susan Harker, both of this city. She was a half-sister of Mrs. U. D. Scott, of New York city, Mrs. Robt. D. Boyd and Mr. Joseph Warrick, both of this city.

Deceased was, at the time of her death, the next to the oldest living member of the First Presbyterian church, which she became a member of when worship was held in the old white frame one story church, on the corner of Jackson and Third streets, where she became a teacher in the Sunday school, and has been ever since active inn both Sunday school and church work, which was so fitting spoken of by her pastor, Rev. Charles G. Jordan, in his remarks during the funeral service, which was held at her late home Tuesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock. The home was filled to overflowing by the many friends she had throughout the city, not only among the older families, but with those who met her in social and church work. Interment was made at Riverview cemetery, where her body was tenderly borne to its resting place by her sons, John E. and George T. Anderson, assisted by D. A. Nagle, John W. Ramsey, George W. Thomas, and Benj. F. Harker.

No comments: