Saturday, October 18, 2008

William G. Foster - Obituary

The East Liverpool TribuneDied on June 13, 1902
William G. Foster, Sr., of Stevenson & Foster, and who lived at 1354 North Highland avenue, died at Atlantic City Friday night. He was about 65 years old. Deceased had been identified with the business interests of Pittsburg for many years, having started in the printing business with William Stevenson in 1871. His partner died about one year ago. Mr. Foster was born in Clarion county, and before starting in business in Pittsburg had followed the same pursuit in Steubenville and Wellsville, Ohio. He is survived by his wife, two sons and one daughter. Deceased was a member of Ascalon Commandery, Knights Templar, a director of the United States National Bank, a director of the Free Dispensary, and a trustee of the Third Presbyterian church. Deceased was the first employer of the publisher of the “Tribune”. He established the East Liverpool “Record” here in 1867, and the writer was engaged as East Liverpool’s first “printer’s devil,” learning the boxes in the type case, setting up half a galley of two and three liners reprint or scissored editorials for the first issue, besides rushing the hand roller over a tombstone ink slab, and over the newspapers forms on a Washington hand press. The late David T. Burchard pulled the hand press. Mr. Foster was owner and publisher of the Wellsville “Union” at that time. He sod the “Record” in 1869 to Frank Miller, and it died in McCormick’s old shop, on Union St., about 1870 –starved to death. Foster sold the Wellsville “Union” in 1872 to W. B. Mc Cord, and went to Pittsburg, buying the W. S. Haven job printing plant on Third avenue.

No comments: