Tuesday, May 20, 2008

GEORGE L. SMITH - Obituary

Smith, George L.

The East Liverpool Tribune


Succumbs to an Attack of Heart Trouble

Began to Fail in Health Last January.

As Salesman For K. T. & K. He Was Known to Trade Throughout Whole Country.

George L. Smith, for a third of a century traveling salesman for the Knowles, Taylor & Knowles Pottery company, died yesterday morning (May 21, 1906) at half past nine o'clock a the Battle Creek, Mich., sanitarium. His brother, Thomas C. Smith and his sister, Mrs. Jennie L. Bloor, were with him at the time of his death.

The time of the funeral has not yet been set. The body will be brought to the city Wednesday morning. It will be met at Pittsburg by Joseph G. Lee, Hal N. Harker and others. The remains will be taken from the train at East End and then removed to his late home in Ohio avenue.

The first intelligence received in the city of Mr. Smith's death was conveyed in a message to Hal. N. Harker from T. C. Smith. Mr. Harker at once notified the members of the family and the Knowles, Taylor & Knowles Co. The news came as a great shock to the many fiends of the deceased in this city.

After the receipt of the telegram telling of his death, his sister, Miss Mary, principal of the Sixth street school received a letter from her sister, Mrs. Bloor, written on Sunday, which stated that George was very much better on Saturday and had recently been wheeled in a chair down town from the sanitarium. While down town he purchased a cane and walked part way back.

There must have been a sudden change for worse, although up to 9 o'clock last night the family had not received the details concerning his sudden death.

It is understood that death was caused by organic heart trouble, from which he had been a sufferer since January, at which time he was taken suddenly ill while attending a meeting of the East Liverpool potters.

About the first of February he went to New Mexico for the benefit of his health, coming from there to Battle Creek about the middle of April.

About two weeks ago members of his family were notified of his serious illness and his brother Thomas at once went to his bedside. A week ago Saturday his sister, Mrs. Bloor, was also called to Battle Creek. From letters that have been received he very much desired to gain enough strength to make the trip home. It is said that he seemed to realize that his days were numbered, and he wished to spend the rest of them at his home in East Liverpool.

George L. Smith was born June ? 1850, on his father's farm at Cannon's Mills. In 1858 the family moved to East Liverpool. Mr. Smith's education was obtained in the public schools of this city. It was practical, and was the foundation of a most successful business career. He was the son of John and Ruth Smith. His father for many years conducted the grocery at the foot of Broadway where the National House is now located.

The home of the deceased was in the brick building on Railroad street just across Apple alley. He lived there for more than 45 years, until he moved to his new home in East End. His father died in 1879 when George practically assumed the support and maintenance of the family. He took his father's place as a provider. It was his privilege to give the best days of his life for the care and support of his mother and sisters.

Five members of the family are living, Mrs. Matilda Hamble, Miss Mary A. Smith, Mrs. Susan Huston, wife of M. M. Huston, Thomas C. Smith, of the E. M. Knowles Pottery Co., and Mrs. Virginia L. Bloor, all of whom reside in this city.

In his boyhood days George Smith clerked in his father's grocery store. About 1868 he took the management of a general store for Pearce brothers, at Sharpsburg, Pa. Afterwards he traveled for a Philadelphia wholesale house. About 1872 or perhaps earlier, he was engaged to travel and sell white ware for the firm of Knowles, Taylor & Knowles, and from that day until the first of the present year he was most actively engaged in marketing the good made at this potery<sic>. He traveled for this firm for over thirty years, and visited every state in the Union in he interests of K. T. & K.

Col. John an. Taylor, president of the company, has been in New York City for several days, and an endeavor was made last evening to reach him by wire, to inform him of Mr. Smith's death.

Mr. Smith was a member of the First Presbyterian church of this city, having united in his early youth. He was a consistent Christian. The only organization with which he is known to have been connected is the Cosmopolita club, of which he was president.

George Smith was an East Liverpool boy who carved out his own career. He enjoyed the esteem and friendship of the entire community and in his death East Liverpool suffers the loss of one of its best citizens. No mother ever had a more devoted son. No sister ever had a brother of whom she could be more proud. The story of his life is worthy of emulation.

George Goodwin, president of the Goodwin Pottery company, paid a very fitting eulogy to the character of Mr. Smith. He said:

" I never knew him to do anything mean and I have known him to do great deal of good. Sunshine was the essence of his nature. He was a man among men. I never knew him to complain. He met every duty that came to him without a murmur or complaint of any kind. East Liverpool never had a better citizen than George Smith. He always remained loyal to East Liverpool notwithstanding he fact that he traveled a great deal. He took an interest in anything city's interest at heart at all times.

" I have known Mr. Smith since he first came to East Liverpool in 1858. He was in the employ of our firm for a short time prior to accepting his position with the Knowles, Taylor & Knowles company.

No comments: