Tuesday, May 20, 2008

SADIE BURCH - Obituary

The East Liverpool Tribune


Mrs. Clyde Birch, Living Near Calcutta, Broods Over Ill Health and Takes Carbolic Acid in Presence of Little Sister-in-Law, Expiring Before Medical Aid Can be Secured.


Mrs. Sadie Birch, aged 18 years, wife of Clyde Birch, living near Calcutta, commited suicide Saturday afternoon (October 13, 1906) at half past four o'clock by drinking carbolic acid. Despondency caused by ill health is thought to have been the cause of her rash act.

During the day Mrs. Birch had apparently been in a cheerful mood. She was living at the home of her husband's mother, Mrs. Sarah Birch, and took the acid during the absence from the home of her mother-in-law and husband.

Mrs. Birch entered the room of her little sister-in-law, who in suffering from an attack of typhoid fever, and inquired where the bottle of carbolic acid was located.

Upon being informed she seized the bottle and poured it into a teacup, which she raised to her lips and swallowed the contents.

Then she turned to the little girl and said:

"Ruby, I drank that acid. I want you to give the baby to my mother."

Frightened by the woman's act the little girl sprang from her bed and ran down stairs and out of doors to where her mother was working in a field.

Almost breathless form her exertion and her weakened condition the little girl notivied her mother that Mrs. Birch has swallowed a bottle of carbolic acid. Mr. Birch, who was at work in an orchard nearby, was at once told of his wife's cat and he hurried to the house.

Upon summoning her mother the little girl started back for the house but was overcome on her way and fell in a dead faint upon the steps.

Mrs. Birch was found writhing on the floor. Dr. Fitzsimmons was immediately summoned by telephone and he arrived upon the scene about an hour later, at which time the unfortunate woman had been dead about 40 minutes.

Mrs. Birch was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Smith who live near Calcutta. Mr. Smith is employed a Martin Brozka's wagon shop in Second street.

She was married to Clyde Birch about a year ago and leaves a ten-weeks-old baby.

The funeral will be held this morning, the funeral party leaving the Birch home at 10 o'clock and the services being held at the Long Run Presbyterian church an hour later. Interment will be in the Long Run cemetery.

Mrs. Birch was a member of this church and the pall bearers will be young women who were members of the Sunday school class to which she belonged.

No comments: